Monday, March 7, 2011

Huey-ism: Center of the Earth

I have shared before how grumpy Houston can be in the mornings.  (See this if you missed it.)  He always comes up with reasons why he lived somewhere else or how he was older or any other endless possibility to get him out of going to school.

Me:  <sweetly and lovingly>  Good morning, boys!  It's time for school.
Houston: <insert bad-ittude, grumpy face, ugly tone, etc.>  I wish I lived in the center of the Earth!  Then I wouldn't have to go to school.
Me:  <sweet tone vanished>  Well, then you would be destroyed by molten lava.
Houston:  Nu uh.  I would wear a protective suit.
Me:  Sweetheart, not everything you see on T.V. is real.  Are you talking about the movie 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'?
He nodded.
Me:  It's not real.  The inside of the Earth is so hot that nothing could protect you.
Houston:  Then I want to move to Africa.
Me:  First of all, children in Africa beg for the education that you get.  The ones that get to go to school appreciate every minute of it.  Those that aren't as fortunate have to walk 10 miles round trip to fetch dirty drinking water for their family twice a day.  How's that sound?

He began dressing himself.  As I type this, I'm wishing that I had told him, in regards to moving to the center of the Earth, that even the little lava children go to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...