Thursday, November 4, 2010

Weight Watchers

Holt, the doctor had been telling us for months that you were going to be a big baby.  Even at 23 weeks, you were measuring 2 weeks ahead of normal.  By 35.5 weeks, the ultrasound had you weighing 7lb 10oz!  We just knew you were going to be our biggest baby yet!

The day before you were born, I opened a survey on Facebook for all of Mom and Dad's friends to guess your weight.  Over a dozen people responded ranging from 8lb 14oz to 15lb 14oz.  On the way to the hospital, Dad pegged you at 9lb 14oz, which I thought was an excellent guess.  I predicted 9lb 12oz--anything but another 10 pounder!

As Dr. Li was struggling to wrestle you out of captivity, all I could hear was "big baby, big baby".  He pulled and tugged and pushed and finally we welcomed you into the world!  Of course, Mom could not see you for the first few minutes of your life.  Again, the nurses kept reiterating the theme for the day, "big baby, big baby."  As you cried while they poked and prodded you, I laid there with the biggest grin on my face and tears of joy running down my face.  I had not yet laid eyes on you, but I knew you were beautiful and perfect in every way.  I was imagining my Holt with the chubbiest of cheeks and roly-poly arms, thinking "My word!  How big could you really be?"

Imagine our surprise when they laid you on the scale and you topped off at 8lb 5oz!  Your Dad and I could not even believe it!  He's a shrimp, we said.

Daddy didn't know he was supposed to get you in the picture on the scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...