Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pajama Day

The school sends home a calendar at the beginning of each month with all the important dates.  As I glanced over it a few weeks ago, I noticed "Polar Express Day - Wear Your Pajamas".  I made a mental note of the date and discarded the paper.

Ms. Wayland, Hayes' kindergarten teacher, does a great job of hand-holding the parents, perhaps too much for my own good.  She constantly sends home reminders on the agenda book as well as emails to make sure all parents are in the know.  Monday, Hayes' agenda book had a reminder for Pajama Day on Thursday.  I remembered that last year, I had to conceal Houston's pajamas under a layer of removable clothing as well as promise to wear my pajamas to work, for him to agree to stepping foot on the bus.  I was bracing myself for another hard sell, so I started right then on getting the kids excited about wearing their pj's.


I guess I did an excellent job because Houston and Hayes went to bed last night thrilled that they were already dressed for school.  They came to wake me up this morning, still in their jammies but also with coats and shoes on.  They were only an hour and a half ahead of schedule!

As the bus time neared, I hugged them at the base of the driveway and sent them down to the stop.  I returned inside and began picking up breakfast when I heard the front door open.  Houston was short of breath and hysterical.  The kids at the bus stop told him that pajama day was yesterday.  "No, it's not.  It's today.  I got an email yesterday from Ms. Wayland about it."  I pleaded with him to go back to the bus stop before he missed the bus.  Reluctantly and only after much convincing, he complied and I once again sent him off.

At 8:10 my cell phone rings.  It's Mrs. Birdsong, Houston's teacher.  She explained to me that Houston was rather upset.
"Well pajama day is today, right?"
"For kindergarten.  The rest of the school had pajama day yesterday."

Great!  I've scarred my kid for life.  At least this morning I talked him out of wearing the footed pajamas that he wanted to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...