Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hawk-ism

The first night Hawkins slept in his new toddler bed, Adam figured that he would get up multiple times that night, since he was no longer in baby jail.  However, we never heard from him.  He has been in his toddler bed for several weeks now and has never gotten out of bed.  It's only been the last couple of days that he has finally started to get out of bed on his own in the morning.  He would lay in his bed waiting for me to come get him.  As if he needed permission to get up.  Every night as I tucked him in, I would remind him that when he wakes in the morning, to go ahead and come out.  And again, it would be 9:30, I'd go peek in on him just to find him laying there quietly with his frog BB (blanket).

Well, last night he crawled out of his bed in the middle of the night.  He whispered to me, "Mommy, mommy!" as he began inviting himself into my bed.  "What you doin'?" he asked me.

I struggled to open my eyes.  I moaned something at him to appease him so at least he would quit repeating, "Mommy?"  I layed there, ignoring him, hoping he would march himself back to bed without uttering another word.  Wishful thinking.  I squinted to check the time on my phone.  12:30.  I had only been asleep two hours.  I forced myself out of the bed.

"Come on, bud.  Let's go back to bed."  I told him as I picked him up.  After confirming that he did not need to make a pit stop on the way, I settled him back into his bed.

"I want pop tart."
"No, bud, it's late.  You need to go back to sleep."
<commences crying>  "I want pop tart!"
"No, buddy.  Good night."
<crying escalates>  "Pop tart!"
"Alright, stop crying.  Stay right there!  I'll go get you a pop tart."  (Great parenting moment, I know.  But I was extremely sleepy and not willing to argue with a two year old.  I especially did not want him waking himself up so much that he would not go back to sleep.  So, yes, I caved.)

I gave him his pop tart, in bed no less, and instructed him to go to sleep once he was finished.  I'd deal with the strawberry-goo-in-the-hair in the morning.

Later that night:

I felt little taps on my arm followed by the sweet whisper, "Mommy?"
I moaned some kind of noise at him once again.
In a very perky and convincing tone, he then asks, "I have dessert now?"

That's when I nudged Adam and informed him that it was now his turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...