Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Are You Smarter Than A Kindergartener?

I started cooking dinner and asked my darling husband to get the boys started on their homework.  With a kindergartener and a first grader, it's not like you can just send them to their room to do their homework and expect them to complete it.  It requires constant monitoring and lots of assistance.  Adam sat with them and began working on it with them.

It was not much longer and he walked up to me with a really disgruntled look on his face and was holding Hayes' homework in his hand.  I kind of expected the disgruntled look at some point since asking him to help the kids with homework is one step above asking him to change the kitty litter.


You must imagine this incomplete, without the lines. Since the picture was taken after the fact.

He read me the instructions at the top of the exercise.  "I can't stand kindergarten homework!  What the heck do they mean?  What are all of these pictures anyway?" he began complaining.
"Just be smarter than the homework, dear.  Afterall, it is intended for a kindergartener." I teased him.

He returned to the table to continue helping the kids.  And as you can see from the picture above, they managed to figure out all the illustrations and to complete the assignment correctly.

After dinner, I picked up Hayes' homework for inspection.  That's when I discovered this:


Displaying the paper to Adam with my head cocked to one side I read the instructions back to him.  "Sweetheart, 'Draw and label 3 pictures that (applying emphasis in voice) END with the L sound'."  Driving the point home harder, I read "Lamb.  Lock.  Lamp.  Hmmm." and scratched my chin.

Oh well!  Looks like I'll be back to doing the homework with the kids.  At least since he "hates kindergarten homework", I can conjecture that he will gladly dive right in to the calculus homework they'll be bringing home in a few, short years.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...