Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Spy a Pumpkin

Several years ago, while Houston and Hayes were both toddlers, car rides were very difficult.  They sat within arms length of each other and there was no movie.  It seemed as though Houston would do whatever he could to aggravate his little brother.  If he wasn't picking on Hayes, then he was fighting to get out of his car seat.  Needless to say, one of the three of us was pretty much screaming at all times.

One night while driving home, I spotted an inflatable pumpkin that was lighted.  It was just a few minutes away from our house.  I pointed it out to the boys and from that point on, through Thanksgiving, we would all search for the pumpkin as we approached our home.  It would keep the kids quiet and occupied for the last few minutes of the "long" car rides.  However, it would occasionally backfire on me when the pumpkin was not turned on.

As the years passed, the kids grew older and became disenchanted with searching for the pumpkin each Fall season and the game was forgotten.  The other night driving home, I noticed the pumpkin again.  I pointed it out to Hawkins and now he and I play the 'I Spy a Pumpkin' game.  I presume the cycle will repeat itself.  Perhaps even as early as next year, he will no longer care to look for the pumpkin.  At least I know it won't be long before I can play the game with H4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...