Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween 2010

This year I was determined to make the kids' costumes.  I've decided the costumes you buy at the store are over-priced and pieces of junk that don't last much longer than Halloween night.  As my husband so eloquently put it, "Instead, we sacrificed lots of our time, which we didn't have to begin with, for them to wear the costume for one night."  Exactly!  At least each one of our kids was in an original costume.

I must preface the picture of Houston with the introduction Hayes gave everyone.  Houston is a "missionary".  That's right the Baptists have been disappointed with the number of converions lately so their new tactic is to hold the victims at gun point and declare "Repent!"  No really he was a mercenary.  However, even Houston could not remember.  He told everyone he was a vegetarian.


Hayes gets an even longer introduction for his costume because it could not have been more perfect for him.  For as long as we can remember, Hayes has been very big on smells.  A few months ago, Adam and another employee began hanging an insane amount of car fresheners from the rear view mirrors of their vehicles.  So much so that you could walk past Adam's car, with all doors and windows shut, and still be knocked over by the fumes.  I think there was at one time 50 in his car.  Hayes loved it!  Adam's preferred scent was "Black Ice".  Everytime Hayes rides with Adam, he comments, "Ah, black ice!" and then reminds Adam how much I hate it.

So what better costume for my sweet Hayes than:

Now if you are not familiar with car freshners, this costume is the real deal.  We used a projector to make an exact replica, larger than life.  It was even complete with actual car freshners attached to the inside so he radiated fumes as he trick-or-treated for candy. 

Last but not least, I had the idea that Hawkins would make the cutest Travelocity gnome.  Somewhere along the way, he began calling his dunce cap his "birthday hat" which really helped when it came time to suit up for Halloween.  I really thought he would fight me on wearing the hat.  But he ended up loving the hat!  He had to wear a cape (which the gnome sometimes does in the commercials) because I could not find the right colored shirt without a logo.  He thought he was Superman and loved it even more!  I didn't even try for the beard.  Figured I had pressed my luck enough with the rest of the get-up.  However, he did tell everyone he was Superman but I think he was the cutest gnome there ever was -- complete with hands on hips and all!


Adam followed Hawkins around all night asking him for pricing on round trip airfare to Hawaii or a 4 night stay in Topeka or a 7 day/6 night cruise to the Caribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...