Saturday, April 2, 2011

Feeding the Fam

I happened to catch a little smidgen of Paula's Best Dishes on Food Network the other day.  Chris Rock's (the comedian) mom was a guest cook.  She was talking with Paula about raising her seven children -- six of which were boys, and more importantly feeding them.  "Saturday morning I would sleep in a little.  I'd hear the boys barrel down the stairwell, finish off two boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk.  Then I'd head downstairs shortly after and they'd ask me, 'Hey Mom!  What's for breakfast?' "

I know those days are in my near future.  I am expecting them, though not so much looking forward to them.  People joke with me all the time with having four boys that it won't be long and my monthly grocery expenses will be more than my mortgage.  When that time comes, perhaps we can just sleep at the grocery since I fear I will not be able to afford them both.  They have showers at Kroger, right?!

It seems as though those days are coming sooner than Adam or I expected.  There have been suttle signs of the increasing appetites along the way.  For instance, we are no longer a one box of shells and cheese family.  Last night only the boys were hungry.  I dug through the pantry and found a big can of ravioli.  The last time I fed them ravioli (a few months ago), this can was large enough for H1-H3 dinner with leftovers.  They gobbled up the entire 2.5 pounds of ravioli in two helpings each and then all had a bowl of cereal after that.

This morning, I made breakfast.  A huge pot of grits, a dozen eggs, and half a loaf of toast later, we were all full.

So I've decided to start a "Feed My Children Fund".  If you feel so inclined, you may contribute.  No donation too small.  Otherwise, we might be forced to snack on Holt's delectable ham hocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...